View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 06:17 AM   #12
isilra
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisCJC View Post
Go to this site http://lockandrolltennis.com/ and watch the videos on the FH. He talks about originating the foreward swing from the leps/hips. You prep and then start forward by lifting with the R leg and rotating the R hip forward. The racket arm and racket head lay back and bit and then come forward into contact.

30 years ago Vic Braden taught sit and lift. Basically, get low and lift into the shot with the thighs pushing up. James Blake's dad taught James this method.

I sometime think let my R Thigh/Hip area start the forward swing. Make your pivot/prep motion very eary - before the ball crosses the net. Then move to contact area. Get a little knee bend and load the R leg with your weight. Then think lift and rotate with the R thigh/hip. This lift/rotate will pull the arm into the swing. You can do this with an open, semi-open, or neutral stance. Best to try it on a few medium paced rally balls to get the feel.

It is also far easier to time the ball using big muscle groups like thighs and core rotation rather than arm, forearm and hand.
I love lock and roll videos. The hip rotation is done after you fully complete your unit turn and drop your racquet. My problem is sometimes i can't be sure if i'm doing that or not. As long as you are not completing the unit turn, you are just arming the ball and it really frustrates me.

Also about lock and roll, when i do the unit turn, drop the racquet and turn my hip, my arm goes totally straight and the racquet comes from behind and crash the ball. But it creates a lot of stress on my elbow when i turn my hip so quickly and my elbow goes straight rapidly. Think i need to turn back to a double bend forehand, don't know how.
isilra is offline   Reply With Quote