View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #61
Roforot
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTRPolice View Post
It's not about it being "brief" or the "intent".

Pro's get called on it for yelling "c'mon" all the time in SINGLES and not even on "doubles overheads at the net". They hit what they perceive to be a "winner" and the prematurely "celebrate" by uttering "c'mon" (vamos', allez, or w/e) and lose the point more often than not.

Anyone who knows the rules does not yell like that when they hit a bad overhead. Only park players do it. Maybe some college/pro players get away with it. That doesnt make it "ok" or make it "not a rule".

Someone yelling "watch out!" does distract you. It's happened to everyone who plays doubles at least once in their life. Do we claim the hindrance point 100% of the time? No. That doesnt mean its "ok" to do.

Like I said, in "park tennis" its ok to break these types of rules. It's ok to foot fault. It's ok to catch balls going obviously long. It's ok to play a let for anything you see fit. That doesnt mean we didnt break 47 different rules in the court of our friendly match and we're definitely not using that as weight in our argument.

It's also a loss of point for a "deliberate" hindrance, which is what this is.
It would be a "let" if it was ruled "accidental".

Under no circumstance would there be a "warning".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNhQzDFQPtI

The second point you can hear Henin say "allez" which is ruled a deliberate hindrance and she loses the point. That's exactly the same thing as yelling "watch out" in doubles to "warn your partner" of an impending overhead smash which implies they have a play at the ball.
I don't think we disagree so much that we wouldn't be able to play a match together. I do think the example of Henin's play isn't a fair one... I could pull a lot of other examples where pros are screaming AFTER they've hit the ball.

Anyway, again if I'm playing against the type of team that will claim a hinderance off those situations, I feel it is well worth it because they are likely the sort of players who would try to go for a body shot/kill shot on the net guy because it's okay to do so in the "written rules."

I'm just curious, how many times have you called a hinderance on an opponent? I've had one guy do it to me once (in a singles practice match--> I mishit a ball and cursed but somehow it landed in; totally deserved to lose that point!) I've never had occasion to do so.
Roforot is offline   Reply With Quote