View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #15
kiki
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosero View Post
Yup he was quoted saying something very similar.

AP article:
Tanner, beaten by Borg in last year’s final, began with a stream of booming services and aced Connors five times in the first set. But as the match went on, Connors returned service with increasing success.

With a 2-1 lead in sets, Tanner looked in good shape for victory. But he had a disastrous game, double faulting twice and netting an easy forehand volley to trail 0-2 in the fourth set -- and the match flowed away from him from then on.

Connors said afterward: “When Roscoe is getting his first serve in, like he was in the first set, you just wait and hope he will cool off. I just hoped he would make a mistake or two so I could get some shots in.”

Tanner’s service lost a lot of its sting later. He finished with 16 aces, but he also missed a lot with his first service and Connors slammed winners off his second deliveries.

Connors’ last vital breakthrough was at 4-2 in the final set. Tanner fended off four break points before Connors won the game with a spectacular backhand return down the line.

Another AP story:
“After I lost the third set my returns were firm on both sides,” said Connors. “I was mixing it up well on my serves and turned my game around a bit to offset his tempo.

“In those last two sets I played as well as I’ve played in the tournament.”

Connors, winner of only one Wimbledon singles title, was unable to cope with Tanner’s whirlwind serve in the 19-minute first serve.

.... Midway through the third set of his 2 3/4-hour thriller with fifth-seeded Tanner, Connors clutched at his left knee and appeared in some pain.

“It’s OK now,” he said. “It scared me more than anything. I sort of twisted it, but it didn’t worry me after I’d played three or four points.”
yes, that was my recall.Thanks for bringing it up.

BTW, Connrs vs tanner looks an underrated rivalry but was tremendously hot, a total contrast with the best server of the decade against the best returner.I remember those 1974 USO and 1975 Wimbly semis, the latter being regarded as the heavisest hitting ever seen on Centre Court.tanner got his revenge in 1976.
In 1979 they had a close and tight up Masters meeting that Connors won in the last set tb...and Tanner got his revenge a couple of years later in the same event, with the score being....7-6,6-7,7-6...Uncredible.