View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #65
gmatheis
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysphinx View Post
Nope, not cheating.

The fact that something is prohibited or required in the Code does not mean failure to comply amounts to cheating. Here is an example:

So. If you do not call a ball out with a visible or audible call, you are cheating?

Want another example?

So. If you do not take a careful second look at any point-ending placement close to a line on a clay court, you are cheating?

Want another example?

So. If you loop a first serve fault back to the server, you are cheating?

My point is that the Code contains many provisions that are advisory. They do not amount to cheating, and there is no automatic penalty if you do these things. They are a matter of courtesy, not cheating.

BTW, I also don't think much of your definition of cheating. I think this is better:

In the examples I gave, there is no unfair advantage, and there is no deception or trickery.

I think some of you are going off the deep end here. . . .
Your examples suck , here's why.

- If you do not call a ball out it is considered good, I have had a friend at a tournament not make any call or signal out on a ball that was over a foot wide. When there was a discrepancy in what the players thought the score should be the official asked if he had signaled or called it out on that point and when he was honest about not doing so the fact that it was obviously out did not matter and his opponent was awarded the point. This is a rule that is seldom enforced but intentionally violating it is still cheating.

- The rules say "should take a look" at any point ending mark not "shall take a look". So doing so is encouraged , not required. Learn the difference between "should" and "shall".

- If you loop back a first serve that is "obviously out" yes you are cheating by causing a unnecessary delay between the servers first and second serve. This is usually unenforced because you really need an official to see that the serve was "obviously out" and then do something about it. Just because something is "unenforced" doesn't make it not cheating

As for distracting, I pointed out that anything that happens to which a person is aware is distracting to a certain point. You calling out a warning to your partner may or may not be enough of a distraction to make them miss but the fact that your opponent hears it at all means it distracted him a small amount while his brain processes this unexpected sound that he heard. The advantage you gain could be as much as a missed shot that they would not have missed had you not talked, or maybe more subtle such as an overhead that is returnable rather than one that is completely out of your reach.

The rule says "shall not talk..." you talk anyway even though you know the rule, and yes it does gain you an advantage. You are cheating.
End of story.