View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #15
Mainad
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by veroniquem View Post
It's a great year for Murray: Olympic gold + 1 slam. (Beats his usual 2 master titles a year for sure!). No offense to Murray fans but the USO win was a bit lucky because Nole got screwed by the schedule and came up short physically in the 5th and also because he avoided Fed.
I never cease to be amazed by the number of people on here who put Murray's USO win down to mere luck, as if he basically played no part in it at all! Djokovic's schedule? He played about 5 hours less at the USO than Murray did! Murray had to struggle through several very difficult matches along the way. Djokovic just cruised through. His only hitch being the gale that forced his semi with Ferrer to be postponed. And if you want to dismiss Murray's win because of his opponent's schedule, does that same criteria apply to Federer's 2008 win? After all, Murray's semi with Nadal carried over 2 days because of yet another gale and then he had to play the final the following day after Fed had had a nice 2 days rest! Yet Murray always gets mocked and laughed at because of his poor performance in that first Slam final! Sauce for the goose etc.

As for Nole's fitness. It's true that he seemed to run out of gas in the 5th set but how does that detract from Murray's win? Djokovic is supposed to be the fittest guy on tour. And does that make his 2011 win over Nadal also lucky as it was Nadal, hitherto the fittest guy on tour, who ran out of gas in the 4th set of their final? As for not having to play Federer, well what can one say? If Federer wasn't good enough to get past Berdych, he probably wouldn't have been good enough to get past Murray who had the confidence of having beaten him in the Olympic final!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netspirit View Post
Murray is a great player but he's not in the same league as the big 3 achievement-wise. And he may never be. His other problem is that, unlike the other top 3, he has a poor record on clay. He's more specialized in fast surfaces. He's also not as solid mentally imo.
Can't argue with much of this. The other top 3 are all multi-Slam winners with many more titles and all have been world #1. Murray has only just won his first Slam and is still far off the number 1 ranking. He has no titles on clay. All true. But I'm wondering why his form has suffered since the USO win when you would have expected the opposite to have been the case!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netspirit View Post
I still think he'll win Wimbledon one day.
I do hope so!

Last edited by Mainad : 11-11-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Mainad is offline   Reply With Quote