View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #29
Mainad
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towser83 View Post
To be honest this thread is a bit melodramtic
Do you think so? I'm just a bit concerned that Murray has squandered so many match points and leads in 4 tournaments on the trot since New York. I've honestly never known him to be so careless before.

Quote:
Point I'm making is that a top player can beat another guy easily only to have the result reversed the next time. That's sport. It isn't a disaster just cos Murray lost a match to Federer. Federer absolutely should beat him in straights sometimes no matter what the result was last time. Like I expect Murray to win in straights at times.
Okay, fair point. It's just that Murray is never going to win the WTF in front of his home crowd if he decides to come a cropper every time he comes up against Federer there. Even a slightly sub-par one. Why can't he schedule his losses to him for some Masters tournament somewhere? Honestly, he had better luck against him when the WTF was in Shanghai. He managed to beat him there!

Quote:
In 2009 Murray bagelled Nadal in Rotterdam then a little while later got destroyed by him in Indian Well.. tennis is unpredictable.
Yes, but I recall it was very windy at 2009 Indian Wells! Obviously Nadal had an unfair advantage!

Quote:
While not making excuses like the wind, I have to say that Murray could have gone out of the US Open on a few occaisons. He had a close one vs Lopez, Cilic choked big time, Berdych could have taken it to 5 sets, possibly another match too? And the final was a really tense one too.

He didn't exactly blow everyone off court. Not taking away from his win, but several matches could have gone either way and he came out on top. Now he's coming out the wrong side in a few matches. It happens. Same thing has happened a bit to Djokovic this year.
And that's my point. Murray hung in there and was mentally strong at each of the matches he played, no matter how tough and some of them were very tough. His determination amd mental strength saw him through right to the bitter end when he turned around a Djokovic fight back in the final. But since then, it has been a litany of match-point failures and surrendered leads. What happened to that amazing mental toughness and discipline that got him through the USO?

Quote:
Murray's best performance really was the Olympics where he was totally dominant, but when you look at his best of 3 match results, he has loads of shok losses BEFORE the US Open. Raonic in Barcelona, gasquet in Rome, Mahut at Queens, Chardy in Cinci... so maybe his problem has been just in the masters and below, I don't see a massive dip after the US Open.
He's always been very up and down. I had hoped winning that elusive first Slam would have kept him up for just a little while longer. Just hope he rediscovers it in time for the start of the new season.

Quote:
The problem is certian commentators, jornalists and fans think now Murray has won a slam, he'll win everything, despite the fact the US Open was a really hardfought win and murray worked for years and got to 5 slam finals before he finally did it. It's not going to transform him overnight. But you know, he loses a close match to Djokovic and one less close one to Federer and suddenly his game is in the gutter? No he's just not beating these guys up all the time, his record vs them is pretty good this year.
Again, fair point. But EIGHT match points? When did you last see Djokovic or Nadal or Federer squander EIGHT match points?

Last edited by Mainad : 11-11-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Mainad is offline   Reply With Quote