View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #30
Towser83
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainad View Post
Do you think so? I'm just a bit concerned that Murray has squandered so many match points and leads in 4 tournaments on the trot since New York. I've honestly never known him to be so careless before.

Okay, fair point. It's just that Murray is never going to win the WTF in front of his home crowd if he decides to come a cropper every time he comes up against Federer there. Even a slightly sub-par one. Why can't he schedule his losses to him for some Masters tournament somewhere? Honestly, he had better luck against him when the WTF was in Shanghai. He managed to beat him there!

Yes, but I recall it was very windy at 2009 Indian Wells! Obviously Nadal had an unfair advantage!

And that's my point. Murray hung in there and was mentally strong at each of the matches he played, no matter how tough and some of them were very tough. His determination amd mental strength saw him through right to the bitter end when he turned around a Djokovic fight back in the final. But since then, it has been a litany of match-point failures and surrendered leads. What happened to that amazing mental toughness and discipline that got him through the USO?

He's always been very up and down. I had hoped winning that elusive first Slam would have kept him up for just a little while longer. Just hope he rediscovers it in time for the start of the new season.

Again, fair point. But EIGHT match points? When did you last see Djokovic or Nadal or Federer squander that many match points?
Well those 3 matches where he had match points are a bit worrying, but he's had other worrying losses too. I'd say the Djokovic one even though it was a final, was not so bad because he didn't do much wrong. Overall I think he's just been better in 5 set matches this year funny enough.

I don't know if there's any huge significance in Murray beating Federer in Shanghai in 2008 and losing 3/3 in london. Remember that Federer is insanely hard to beat at the WTF so Murray has done well to do it once, which happened to be in Shanghai. He's got years left to win this and/or beat federer, but I appreciate it's frustrating. He did win the Olypic gold medal in front of a wimbledon crowd though, so that counts for a lot right?

Well are you gonna balme wind for the IW match or not? I was just using it as an example of a very one sided match where the previous match had featured Murray giving Nadal a bagel - totally different turnouts.

True Murray was strong in the US Open, but it's hard to do that day in and day out. I would say give him time to come to terms with what he's done. It's a big step forwards and sometimes you need a break before taking the next step.

I remember Federer blowing several matches after having match points in 2010 I think, including that US Open semi. At least Murray hasn't done it since Shanghai, so I don't think it will be a major problem. Probably just mental tiredness at the end of the season.

Last edited by Towser83 : 11-11-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Towser83 is offline   Reply With Quote