View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #62
ga tennis
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
I agree- the worst case scenario is that she will do as bad as the team she took over in which case she will lose her job. That is actually a realistic scenario. Of course it is easy to say yes recruit more Americans when it is not your job on the line. Most coaches if given the choice between losing their jobs and giving marginally competitive American players more scholarships, would choose to keep their jobs. The only way I can see that ever changing is if the AD decides that giving Americans more scholarships is more important than winning at their particular (nonpowerhouse tennis) college or the NCAA decides to limit the number of foreign scholies.
At our local college the coach(canadian) has NO pressure from the A.D. to win. He has FINALLY listened to me and recruited almost all players from Georgia. I told him that he should recruit all Georgia kids and try to develop players verse recruit foreign players that hes never seen play.If A.D.s took this same approach with a non revenue sport like tennis then i think it will help with the college tennis problem. The big problem is most college tennis coaches are cluless about player development and just know how to recruit.The school is division 2 and most American kids think d2 is a bad thing and would rather get no scholarship money and play number 9 for a d1 team and never see any playing time but say they play d1.Alot of American kids think they are better than they really are and think they should be playing d1 tennis when in reality d2 would be a better spot.