View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #64
Alohajrtennis
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkC View Post
Weather, and the ability to play outdoors pretty much whenever you want, can be big selling points in tennis recruiting. There are schools with great indoor facilities that use the facilities as a sales pitch to overcome this disadvantage to some degree. The Ohio State men's team is a good example. But you will notice that they recruit mainly M-i-d-western players who are already used to the weather, plus they usually have a small number of overseas players (typically just one or two in the top six). The quality of M-i-d-western boys in the juniors is quite a bit higher than the quality of Northwestern girls. So the Washington women's coach really needs to recruit California five stars who just miss out on being recruited by the top schools, and convince them to head north a little ways. Perhaps that is tougher than you think. Maybe we should look at where the California five-star girls have been going in recent years to get an idea.
They have modern indoor facility there as well. When you combine the city, the quality of the university, and yes the weather, I don't think she's at a recruiting disadvantage vis-a-vis the majority of other teams in her division. Maybe not as an attractive destination as the CA schools, but on par with the other schools. Particular recruits may prefer the year round sunshine of Arizona and Utah, but others may may not like the heat.

Yes, California is the next logical recruitment area. Most coaches start in the backyard and then the next step is in their conference. All those road trips are recruiting trips as well.

Last edited by Alohajrtennis : 11-12-2012 at 10:34 AM.