View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #65
Alohajrtennis
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
I agree- the worst case scenario is that she will do as bad as the team she took over in which case she will lose her job. That is actually a realistic scenario. Of course it is easy to say yes recruit more Americans when it is not your job on the line. Most coaches if given the choice between losing their jobs and giving marginally competitive American players more scholarships, would choose to keep their jobs. The only way I can see that ever changing is if the AD decides that giving Americans more scholarships is more important than winning at their particular (nonpowerhouse tennis) college or the NCAA decides to limit the number of foreign scholies.
Overall record : I don't think it matters. In a conference like the PAC-12, it how you do in the conference that matters. In addition, she explicitly stated that the reason she recruits foreign players was becuase she needed to be more competitive in her conference, not becuase she wanted to do better out of conference. As I said, How's that working out for her ? If the AD decides to cut her loose, it going to be cause of her conference record, not her ITA ranking. I'm pretty sure the AD's bonus is tied to conference rankings and titles. I'd wager a bet the women tennis team ITA ranking does not factor into his bonus.

Again, the foreign players she has bought in have shown they are no more competitive in her conference than an average American 5 star(AKA Marginally competitive American Players) that she claims are not good enough for her. Sorry, the choice you have layed out, between losing their jobs and giving marginally competitive American players more scholarships, is just not the reality of the situation.

She needs to set realistic recruiting goals, get the best Americans she can get, maybe supplement them with a couple of foreign players, not six, ad improve the program a step at a time.