View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #66
ClarkC
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterbill View Post

I think it is wrong and silly for another poster to say that "I take it you don't like Seattle", which gives the appearance of ascribing personal prejudice and bias to the reasonable, objective opinions you have expressed here
I used to have a brother who lived with his wife and child in the Seattle area when he worked at Boeing. We visited several times up there. Beautiful area. We often scheduled family vacations in the Pacific Northwest for that reason. Spent one vacation going down the Oregon coast, another in the San Juan Islands, and another in Victoria, British Columbia, and surrounding sites, including Whistler (summer, not skiing season). I think that area is really pretty. When I narrowed down my list of schools to consider attending for my Ph.D., the University of Washington was on the final list of four schools.

Not a personal dislike of Seattle or UW. But I have heard top tennis players in Virginia say that they are probably heading farther south for college. An outstanding indoor facility at UVa has been a big boost to our recruiting here. A lot of players just don't want to be anywhere for tennis if the weather will force them indoors a good bit of the time. Some of the rainier places are among the most beautiful to visit, because it takes some rain to have some natural beauty. But we are talking about tennis, not a week's vacation.