View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #122
ninman
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by heycal View Post
Let's talk about Brian Wilson for a moment since he comes up a lot in this thread.

Now, I like the Beach Boys as much as the next guy. They are all over my ipod. I love all the surf music, and later hits like God Only Knows and Good Vibrations are wonderful.

But what else is there? What did he do that put him anywhere near the Beatles, or the Stones, for that matter?

The vaunted Pet Sounds, which I read was suppposedly inspired by Rubber Soul, ain't no Rubber Soul. Check out the track listings if you don't believe me. A couple of excellent songs and that's it.

I mean, come on, folks. He's certainly one of the most talented American pop guys of all time, but let's not over-praise him. The surf music was great, but he was really only able to produce less than a handful of excellent songs once he moved beyond that.
Oh boy, you are clueless. The stuff he wrote from 1961-1967 is amazing work. Lyrically it's about surfing and girls mostly, but the composition and style was phenomenal.

As for the last comment, that is ridiculousness at it's most extreme. Brian Wilson had a mental breakdown, which basically incapacitated him for a good 20 years.

Try listening to his solo albums, Sweet Insanity, Imagination, also the released smile album. Musically they are fantastic.

In my opinion the Today album is their best album by far. Much better than Pet Sounds.

The reason people cite Pet Sounds as one of the greatest albums of all time (I believe it's number 2), is because the musical composition of that album was revolutionary. Every track on that album sounds fantastic.
ninman is offline   Reply With Quote