View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 11:13 PM   #12
Mick3391
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplracer View Post
How much improvement in fitness can a 10 year who is already pretty fit make in a month?
My son just turned 12, played on the Tennis Team at school.

All I can say is that most of the kids, JV and Varsity were in horrible shape, like 25 kids, the coach hated it. They did wind sprints, but were still not in shape, taking huge gasps of air in simply ralleys.

A few however were in incredible shape, just unbounded energy. I have my son physically working only on wind sprints, running backwards, and working up gradually general jogging distance. I thought about getting leg weights and all kinds of things, but I understand that may not be right at this stage. When I was that age we worked out like crazy, different time. Now you talk about getting in shape and people bring up child abuse, just ignore them.

He played his first USTA tourney and was destroyed physically by a 10 year old and a 13 year old. We work on catching the ball, throwing it up, eye-hand coodanation things, and of course shots and playing.

I say if he wants it, if he wants to get in shape,work him until he is dead tired, they recover so quick.