View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 06:57 AM   #52
woodrow1029
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avles View Post
That's interesting-- to me it seems inconsistent with the rule that a player is responsible for calling "not up" on himself, as that seems like a pretty analogous situation. What's the justification for the difference?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoorknob View Post
Yeah that's pretty much why I picked "the player that hit the ball" in my original guesses. The 'not up' situation seemed to me to be the closest analogous situation, but apparently not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysphinx View Post
'Cause you call things when the ball is on its way to you. Your opponent calls things when the ball is on its way to them.

If you strike the ball and it bounces before it goes over the net, the problem occurs when the ball is on its way to the opponent. So it is the opponent's call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud and blunder View Post
No, you call your side of the net; direction of ball travel is irrelevant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysphinx View Post
Mmmm . . . that approach doesn't work all the time.

Say I hit a ball to you that bounces on your side of the court. You swing and shank it, and it barely grazes into a ceiling fixture directly above you.

That's my call to make, even though it happened on your side of the court.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud and blunder View Post
Nothing works all the time....having said that, I read the question as a not-up situation. Rereading it, I have no idea what it refers to; it seems you could parse it several ways.
Here's the Code section from the Friend at Court (page 47):

Balls hit through net or into ground. A player makes the ruling on a ball that
the player’s opponent hits:
• Through the net; or

• Into the ground before it goes over the net.
woodrow1029 is offline   Reply With Quote