View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
michael_1265
Professional

Default Reunited, and it Feels So Good..........

For those of you who know this song, my apologies for sticking it in your head for the next day or so.

Compliments of Virginia, who was great to deal with and cut me a very reasonable price, I now have a Donnay Revolutive Apollo, a racquet that I bought new in 1989, but was subsequently borrowed and not returned in 1990 by a college friend (If you are out there, Eric, don't feel safe; I will find you eventually)

Anyway, I was happy to get it straight from NZ, and it was in nice overall condition, but my heart sank when I saw the Gamma Grip on it. The adhesive in these grips fuses with leather over time, and makes it unlikely to salvage the original grip. I really liked the original leather grip on this model. Amazingly, the Gamma Grip peeled right off, leaving the original completely intact. A little conditioner, and it looks great. I remember liking the hourglass-shaped grip a lot when I originally owned it. This model also came with variable weights that screwed into the handle. It was a bit ahead of its time, and the design was timeless.

Thanks again, Virginia!