View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
Cathie Currie
New User

Default 30s-40s high-level player overcame childhood disabling leg burns - South American?

Hello,
The player, who grew up in South America, had suffered third-degree burns on his legs when he was a child. Despite his injuries he became a highly ranked international player. I assume he was amateur, given the years of play. I was told he also was charmingly witty, a bit of an imp on the court . . . but that may have been my father's personal opinion. He was often compared to Wilma Rudolph with her history of overcoming polio.

I hope someone can tell me who this player is. When I was a child, my father -- a 30s-40s ranked amateur -- told me about his playing here in the states. I vaguely remember reading an article about him for a school paper.

TW suggested Pancho Segura as one possibility due to early rickets, and the characterization -- perhaps I miss-remember the story.

I googled and wikied -- haven't found him.

I am writing a chapter on athletes who have overcome impairments, and would appreciate -- and acknowledge -- your help in identifying or correcting this story.

Please post here, or send to: cmc13@columbia.edu.

Thank you,
Cathie
Cathie M. Currie, Ph.D.
New York, NY
Cathie Currie is offline   Reply With Quote