View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #10
Itagaki
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliefedererer View Post
The reason I asked is that I have done literature searches multiple times to try and find one human study that shows taking high dose ibuprofen has had a demonstrable effect on ANY disease or injury.

I have not found any.

I have asked the question many times here, and no one has provided such a study.

There is a move afoot in medicine termed "evidence based medicine".

It is aimed to try and separate out theoretical benefits of treatments [even if having some degreee of sound scientific basis] from those that have actually been "proven" in a reasonable study.

So far, I believe that the widespread belief that high dose ibuprofen has beneficial effects for inflammatory processes has yet to be proven.

Indeed, the studies done so far, even in inflammatory diseases such as arthritis, have not shown a change in the underlying disease process.

Could it possibly be that there are so many inflammatory pathways involving so many different types of mediators and cytokines, that interruption of just one of these pathways [cyclooxygenase] by ibuprofen does not have a clinical effect?
Hmm, that's actually very interesting to me. Is there any anti-inflammatory medicine that has been proven effective? Especially OTC drugs I.e. Naproxen, aspirin etc
Itagaki is offline   Reply With Quote