View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #204
Tennis_Hands
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Inside the service box - the business end
Posts: 3,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
They had more long rallies with their opponents on hardcourts than a lot of people think.
But that is not the answet to my question, is it?

Besides, I have seen them play from the beginning. Before them, as well.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
Fine, bring back carpet. I've long been calling for the number of hardcourt tournaments to be considerably reduced.
At least we agree on something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
Yes, there were surface specialists, because in the 1990s, despite there being more power than ever before, it still wasn't near the level of today's game, and there were also carpet courts widespread on tour as well. Players could also go off on their own schedules, playing predominantly on a certain surface throughout the year. These days, there are compulsory tournaments and 0 pointers for missing such tournaments.
I know what the conditions back then were.

The 0 pointer thing is a weak argument. We have seen how easy it is to pass on the ones, that people do not want to play. Also, they STILL could play their game, if the conditions/surfaces are presented. Who says, that if the speed returns, there will not be specialists, who will be eager to place their preparation around those tourneys?

Nah, you are using false argument. You assume, that the schedule and the tournaments will remain the same, and the added tournaments will be somewhat out of the "points". And why would the players
even have to endure 0 pointers? We are talking about the speeding of the surfaces of the current tournaments (part of them, of course).

Also, you are heavily speculating, that with the modern technology it will not be possible to play on faster (than the current) surfaces. What are your facts, that support that, apart from "yeah, the game nowadays is much more powerful"?

The game is marginally more powerful, then when the slowing began (around 10 years ago).

Prove, that it is much more powerful.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
In the 1990s, you had good clay-court players going "oh, Wimbledon, I'll give that a miss", and serve and volleyers going "I'll take it easy on clay and not play too much on it".
Why should the claycourt specialists receive special attention at Wimbledon or grasscourt specialists at RG? Who said, that the surfaces should be suitable for everybody? Isn't that the whole point of the variety of the surfaces?

Don't be ridiculous.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
Didn't see what? Make all today's players have the strings of 20 years ago, bring back carpet courts and let players play wherever they wish, and we'll be back in 1990s conditions pretty quickly. Then again, make people use the racquets of the 1960s and 1960s playing conditions will return. Is that really the way forward? Because I think it's going backwards to the past.
Why would someone do what you suggest?

Noone suggests, that the sport restores the previous order. The people (including me) want variety of the surfaces, not the old racket and string technology.

You seem to think, that the speeding of the surfaces will make the sport impossible to play with the current technology.

I know, that you are wrong.

Moreover. Whether you and others want it or not, this is the only way for the sport to go forward. I can assure you, that the current means are exhausted and we are faced with a situation, where something will be done. And it is not further slowing of the surfaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
You could try watching the matches from today and matches from past eras and see for yourself. The biggest difference by some way is the amount of authority, power, depth and spin that players can get on their shots as a result of racquet and string technology.
Like I said before, I have watched enough matches from any meaningful era in Tennis. We are not debating, whether the sport has changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
Whereas in the 1960s, players felt compelled to go towards the net and play in the forecourt, due to the lack of authority, power, depth and spin (relative to more modern eras), this contrasts with today's game, where players can smash balls with authority, power, depth and spin with relative ease from their own baselines, so now players feel compelled to stay back on the baseline and are reluctant to come forward.
They are, and PART of the reason is, that it has become increasingly easy to pick the serve and also to stay in the rally. Can you make a guess why is that so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
No, I'm used to how some people are always bemoaning modern conditions compared to past conditions. This was just as prevalent in the 1990s. In the 1990s, people were convinced that power was bad for tennis and wished for a return to the old days, yet the power in today's game is far greater than the 1990s. The moaners today bemoan today's conditions and wish a return to the 1990s tour conditions that were so criticised at one time. You couldn't make it up.
I thing that you do not understand what the people actually want.

The fact, that the people speak about the conditions during the 90ies, doesn't mean, that they want the game to be like it was in the 90ies (it is impossible anyway). They want to see variety (which was part of the 90ies tennis).

And again, what makes you believe, that tennis cannot be played with the modern racket and string technology on fast surfaces?

I am willing to challenge your theory.

Let us make a hypothetical situation, where the grass at Wimbledon is fast as it was in the 90ies. Take Nadal, with his power, autority and put him against Sampras with his own racket and strings setup.

Who do you think will have the upper hand?

If what you say is true, then Nadal should have the upper hand, right?
__________________
Crisstti:It's not cheating (arguable at best), it's merely breaking the rules./ Vero:Armstrong lacks the arrogance.

Last edited by Tennis_Hands : 11-14-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Tennis_Hands is offline   Reply With Quote