View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #130
BobbyOne
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lobb View Post
Gonzales faced a much tougher field than either Laver or Rosewall, whose only serious competition came from each other.
As it was, how many majors, closed and open, did Laver win?
I make it 21, including the 1968 pro majors (US Pro, Roland Garros).
Gonzales gets 16 (including 8 bogus US Pro events, and 2 Forest Hills Tournament of Champions).
This was caused by the higher level of competition at the professional level.
If tennis had been open from 1950, how would things have changed?
I think that Laver's totals would have been the same, or greater, as there were only 3 majors for the pros, and four majors in open tennis. Laver was a mature player by 1961, and I would give him the edge at Wimbledon and Forest Hills beginning that year. Only Rosewall from the players of the fifties was still a force in his prime, until about 1964.
Gonzales, on the other hand, would have faced major competition from the developing players, (Segura and Sedgman already denied him majors in the early fifties, then also Trabert, Rosewall, Hoad would have joined the list). Gonzales faced too much competition, and I think his totals would have declined if tennis had been open.
Still, I accept Rosewall's overall rating; 1) Hoad 2) Gonzales 3) Laver 4) Federer.
You have to take the level of competition into account when rating players.
Dan, your strange opinions don't become better when you repeat them again and again.

First, Gonzalez had a much longer career on or near the top than Laver had.

Rosewall's rating is NOT an overall rating regarding achievements. It just points to the playing strength in ONE match or a few top matches, as I suppose.

Laver having the edge since Wimbledon and US Open 1961 is curious. I refuse to tell you my real opinion about your statement...

Rosewall and Laver would have stolen many majors from each other. And it's not true that only these two were serious competition in the 1960s. You ""forget"" Hoad, Gonzalez, Gimeno and others.

How strong Gonzalez was as an old man you might see at his SF in the 1968 French Open and the QF in the US Open when he beat Tony Roche clearly...

Last edited by BobbyOne : 11-14-2012 at 03:56 PM.
BobbyOne is online now   Reply With Quote