View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
SoBad
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtruesdell View Post
Hi SoBad,

The solar flares and solar wind don't affect our lower atmostpheric weather directly. The increased solar radiation interacts with ionized (electrically charged) particles in Earth's upper atmosphere.

Intense "solar storms" can affect satellite communications and other things that depend on orbiting satellites. Apparently in 1859 an incredibly intense solar flare actually interfered with telegraph systems on the surface. This is very rare.

So while a solar flare could really disrupt electronics and things like communications and other things that depend on electrical fields, they don't do anything to affect our day-to-day weather. I hope that helps!
Thanks for your comment. It sounds like you know a lot more about this than I do, so please don’t take my questions as a challenge to your authority on the subject. All I want is to understand this better (without pursuing a doctoral degree in physics

We know that solar activity can affect things on Earth (e.g., 1859 power/communication grid failures you mentioned). We also know that there is a lot that we (as a society) do not know about the Sun. We also know that there is a lot that we don’t know about why certain people do certain things that they do.

I am not claiming to have evidence of a link between solar activity and things going on around here. What I am wondering is, rather, is what evidence is there suggesting that there is no link? “The solar flares and solar wind don't affect our lower atmostpheric weather directly” is a rather strong statement, wouldn’t you agree?