View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #27
Nostradamus
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
I read an interesting article from a tennis newsletter on Ibuprofen:

http://www.active.com/nutrition/Arti...-Vitamin-I.htm

It basically explains that the mechanism that results in an anti-inflammatory effect also inhibits enzymes that promote repair and muscle building. The author recommends taking Ibuprofen for acute pain but not as a regular supplement to avoid soreness after exercise. I recently had an acute shoulder injury, and I found Ibuprofen to be helpful to get me through competitive matches, but I don't plan to take it regularly once it starts to feel better.

Any thoughts?
Studies show that motrin taken for competitive or otherwise exercise reasons for just 3 times a week can have harmful effects. Hypertension and other cardiac issues. Kidney damage is mostly on older people with already existing kidney problems.
Stomach ulcers can happen to anyone who uses it regularly even if it is just once or twice a week. also motrin inhibits healing mechanism after exercise damage.
so no motrin for the purposes of preventing or treating some minor aches and pains after a tough tennis match. Ice pack or 1 hour long Message is better way to go.