View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 02:25 AM   #11
xFullCourtTenniSx
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by boramiNYC View Post
Hip is for stability and balance. It should be well anchored to stabilize the fast and big motion of the upper body. This means while the upper body is coiled in backswing the hip should be well anchored to stretch that coiling and initiate the rotational pull and after the contact it should be well anchored to stop the rotational inertia. Legs are the helpers of the hip to achieve this. It's better to think more of the inaction or plantedness of the hip.
So I should just stick to what I've been doing and just get racket head acceleration using shoulder rotation alone with the hips to keep me balanced? O.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by user92626 View Post
Bora gave a good explanation.

For me I don't really think about hip rotation and whatnot. What I think about is increasing the swing range which means coiling fuller, and easing my arm into contact which means everything else loads and leads first. To do that the proper foot, in my case the left, planting for pivoting and pushing off the ground, like a sprinter taking off, is important to initialize a strong swing.
Increasing the swing any further is a bad idea. I'm compacting my swing more because I hug the baseline like Agassi. If I increase my full swing to be any bigger, it will be erratic. I've seen the negatives of oversized swings. For a player as aggressive as I am, it's not a great choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshs View Post
That is a great insight. It shifts the focus away from body rotation and towards a fuller swing which automatically brings the other elements into play without conscious action.
Swing can't really get any fuller unless I get nervous and tense up. If I'm swinging out, it's a pretty full swing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user92626 View Post
We all need guidance and insights and my insight is to trust my body's natural movement to start with. That's the core, the first foundation. For me it has been much easier to learn from that than to start with hip rotation, etc. That's my point.

Frankly I don't know which foot is called the outside foot. I learned my hitting stances by figuring out what a stable stance is, loading/unloading by rocking the body back and forth, ie momentum means power.

We're not playing terribly high level of tennis that we need to go to sport science or pay attention to nitty gritty details as if to extract every ounce of efficiency At this level you just need to be a little suave with natural body movements and you already grap most of the socalled techniques. At least this is a great place to start from.
I've had the natural body movement for a while. But now I want to optimize the shot to minimize effort even further if possible, which will hopefully help under pressure since an easy tip to rotate the hips is easier to get a full swing than using the shoulders, which in turn is easier than using the arm and so on.

At this point, I don't feel like my backhand will get any better (in terms of technique), because the technique is so simple. The only way it will get better is by hitting thousands of balls against high quality hitters, and strengthening my body to be able to hit a harder backhand (not weight lifting, since I need to improve my twitch muscles).

However, although my forehand is strong, I feel like the technique can still be improved upon, because there are so many places the forehand can go wrong (too much or too little elbow bend, too much wrist, too much arming, etc). The forehand has a greater range of movement and therefore a greater chance of deviation from the ideal swing (which also gives you more options when you CAN'T hit the ideal swing).

Before my shoulder injury, though my backhand was a weakness, it was a shot I was comfortable rallying with all day long. Why? The motion was clean and simple, I wasn't very likely to miss unless you're being very aggressive against it. You basically had to hit through that side. My forehand on the other hand, was a weapon but also the first shot to break down if things went wrong. I want to simplify and optimize the technique as much as possible so that it will never break down under pressure.

Using the second method that I posted in the OP, I noticed a significant increase in easy power whenever I could easily execute it.

Using the first method (sit and lift), it was more versatile, but it felt noticeably weaker than the other method. However, there was still plenty of easy power.