View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #62
USArmyTennis
New User

Tension used for playtest-38lbs
Regular string set up-Prince Beast XP 16g 38lb
Racquet brand and model used for test-Head MG Extreme Pro
Power of test string-Power was good out of this 17g string. More then my beast strings, but it still felt controllable. Depth was easy to find after I adjusted to the strings, I had to be a little careful not to really lay into a ball or it would want to sail on me.
Feel-This string started off with great feel, as I expected from dropping gauges, but the feel went away fast for me. 1 hour into hitting I didn't get that nice response anymore and it felt dull again. The same goes for good pocketing of the ball, it did well early, but I wore that out quickly.
Spin-Just average for spin. Nothing special at all. Once the feel started dropping I noticed some spin loss as well. I realyl didn't get a lot of good spin twisting my 2nd serve or power slicing my first serve.
Comfort-Very comfortable for a full poly string. I have had a recent wrist injury and this string did not irritate my wrist much. I'm still laying back on my serve but I feel it will remain comfortable even with my big serve going.
Durability-1 hour of play and showing visible notching. I'm not the greatest at hitting the exact same spot on my racquet, but the notching was evidient after one trip out, I'd guess 10-20% depending on where I checked. Once this string started to notch I felt a lot of the characteristics of this string fade.
Playability Duration (share thoughts on if/how the playability changed over time) It went from a good string to an avereage string for me within an hour of play. Everything from power to spin to feel all fell once the string started notching. After 40 minutes my main strings were no longer snapping back into place
Control (predictable trajectory? performance on different strokes and swing speeds?) Good control out of this string. I was really able to cut some corners and play sharp angles and keep them at the line, even with a 3/4 swing at the service line.
Compare to the string you use most often- Less durable and more powered then the Beast XP 16. Comfort was just as good but this isn't a string for me. Just not enough playability time unless I felt like stringing all the time.
Tension recommendations (after hitting it, would you recommend a different tension? Why?) I'd take this string up on tension, maybe around 45 to get a bit more control and less power. I wanted to use my normal tension for this just to have an accurate comparison.
Summary: List 1 or 2 primary likes and dislikes. Playability and durability aren't going to pan out for me. Maybe for someone less of a ball basher it would work well for, just not me.
USArmyTennis is offline   Reply With Quote