View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
schmke
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playtennis View Post
I've heard many different views of 0/0 matches counting/ not counting. Some say they don't count at all and are thrown out. Some as they count in dynamic rating but not EOY? Anyone know?
Everything I've read in USTA documents or FAQs says they don't count at all towards year-end ratings. However, someone claiming to be a league coordinator addressed this and said they do count. See http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=440721

So I don't know the real answer for sure, but I've always been of the opinion that they should count if they are "meaningful". Meaningful is when the expected result of the match was closer than 6-0,6-0.

I understand why you don't want to count them when say a 4.0 plays a 3.0 and the 4.0 is supposed to win by "more" than 6-0,6-0 so counting it would hurt the 4.0 and help the 3.0, but if two near equals play and one wins 6-0,6-0, why throw it out but not a 6-0,6-1 score?

FWIW, in calculating my Estimated Dynamic NTRP I do now include them if they are meaningful by the definition above.
schmke is online now   Reply With Quote