View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #106
LeeD
Bionic Poster

Last week I was 147 lbs. Still right at 5'11".
During the summer, I windsurf with the best National caliber slalom sailors, go fast, make fast jibes with no mistakes. Even the National Champ in slalom, TysonPoor, and we're about dead even. I've been competing since 1986 in slalom.
I back off a bit on jumps, so nothing close to 5 years ago. Still get the fin about 8' off the water. Landing on water is just much softer than dirt, snow, or cement.
I actually don't go to sites where there is consistent high winds, as that would tempt me to always go for the highest jumps of anyone on the water. I shouldn't be landing those jumps at my age.
On our open bikes, everyone would replace the rear tires after maybe 6 races. 125's could last longer, but only if the tracks were maintained and well watered. Blue groove tracks needed new tires every other race.
We practiced mostly on sand tracks at OceanBeach, SanFrancisco, right at the now City Sewer Plant, next to SFZoo. For some reason, I never got my Open bikes running at the Zoo sand track. Always rode 125's and 250's there.
Most fun was running from the cops on my BSA500MX. The cops had Honda350 dual purpose bikes, Harley street bikes, FordT%C sedans, and helicopters, which surprisingly, weren't too hard to lose in the tunnels to the beach and the houses in the SunsetDistrict.
Horses were the jokes. They'd run from us.
LeeD is offline   Reply With Quote