Thread: poly vs kevlar
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #15
tlm
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by corners View Post
Actually, there is no published lab data on kevlar (full bed kevlar or kevlar/syngut) spin rates in conventional string pattern, probably because Kevlar is pretty much gone from the pro game at this point so no one is studying it. So anyone claiming that copoly produces more spin than kevlar is basing those assertions on their personal experience and perceptions.

And as far as power goes, kevlar is about twice as stiff as a firm copoly like Alu Power, which means you'd get about 3 miles per hour more on an average shot with that copoly than you would with kevlar. That is quite a lot, about the same difference as between copoly and natural gut.
That makes sense because I can tell that the kevlar does produce less speed on my shots, which I believe helps the control. It seems like there is a built in restricted flight with kevlar that no other string has, plus there are no hot spots the entire string bed plays consistent.

You may be right about the spin data on kevlar, that came from some other posters that said that it has been proven in labs that poly produces much more spin than kevlar. In my real life hitting experience I have found kevlar to produce as much if not more spin than poly does. I believe it is the added power that poly gives is what makes some think that it is producing more spin.
tlm is offline   Reply With Quote