Thread: poly vs kevlar
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #13
corners
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlm View Post
I am looking for low power polys that produce good spin and keep some control. I like the dunlop black widow, blue gear, yonex poly tour spin. I have found that 16 gauge will give better consistent control but not as much spin as the 17 gauge, anything thinner than 17 and I lose to much control.

I also string any of these polys at a minimum of 65 lbs. Many here will say I am crazy for using that high of tension but I have no problem with it and anything less makes the control not last as long.

Right now I am using gamma powerplay 18 gauge kevlar at 58lbs. with yonex poly tour spin cross at 63lbs. This set up is tremendous but like you I want to get away from kevlar to prevent injuries.

If I find a great poly that does what I want I will let you know, but so far I have found some that do exactly what I want but only for the first day. Still searching and maybe I just need 3 rackets instead of 2 and string more often.
The stiffest copoly on the market is Revenge, so that might be worth a look if you're coming from Kevlar. The best in terms of tension maintenance is 4G, by quite a margin too, and that one is fairly stiff as well. Since it holds tension so well it will play stiffer for longer than other copolys.
corners is offline   Reply With Quote