View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #23
Metalica
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Fed doesn't rotate his hip on most forehands?? He isolates his shoulder? Fed's 'head turn' is to help make good contact and maintain balance. the head weighs 30lbs so keeping it still is optimal. Nothing do with 'isolating the shoulder'.
Can you show me a video of Fed hitting a rally ball where he doesn't rotate his hip?

A 'full swing' does not mean 'bigger swing' or 'longer swing' and is not related to being 'not compact'. A full swing means you have a takeback, you swing and then you have a full follow through and finish around your body or above your shoulder etc.
A 'compact swing' refers to the takeback mostly and not the 'swing' necessarily.

I wouldn't recommend the method in the vid in the first post unless you have an injury or something. He's using a neutral stance, he's 'pointing at the ball', no coil in his hip and he's hitting off the front foot. Sure they might be some situation where that would be used but it's not something you want to base your regular swing on.
This is what I mean when i say he doesn't rotate his hip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkDIFP4SK9Q
Notice how his right leg moves backward preventing his hip from rotating too much? I realize my wording is probably wrong when I say he doesn't rotate his hip. What i meant is that he doesn't rotate his hip a lot apart from some shots. You also corrected me about the his head turn.
I still think that you don't need to consciously think too much about roating your hip. I concentrate more on turning the shoulder; torso and hip turn can be a by-product of that but I don't think it's too important so long as you turn your shoulder a lot.
Metalica is offline   Reply With Quote