View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #3399
pvaudio
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlerajm View Post
Agreed.
Also, I think the advantages of a stiffer stringbed are underappreciated. For example:
1. Since the stringbed dents less, rebound angle is lower and less dependent on the spin rate of the incoming ball.
2. More importantly, since the stringbed deflects less, a heavy incoming ball has a shorter moment arm to apply torque to the racquet at impact. So the racquet is more torsionally stable against a heavy ball. This greatly increases directional accuracy, especially on volleys against topspin or underspin passes and blocked returns.

Kevlar may not be for everyone, but it works best for me. Of course, the fact that I use a much heavier racquet than most players means shock to the arm is a non-issue. I do thank pvaudio for helping me choose my current poly cross.
You have made a huge amount of inference based on something that has never proven to be true. In fact, your reasoning is exactly opposite. The fact that there is less deflection means that the incoming ball's energy goes elsewhere. Compared to natural gut which will absorb an enormous amount of energy and return it, the stiffness in this case should do exactly opposite what you're saying. Think about it in extremes: a stringbed of a piece of wood vs. a stringbed made of rubber bands. Which will be more torsionally stable when hit with a huge ball?
pvaudio is offline   Reply With Quote