View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #26
Cheetah
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalica View Post
This is what I mean when i say he doesn't rotate his hip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkDIFP4SK9Q
Notice how his right leg moves backward preventing his hip from rotating too much? I realize my wording is probably wrong when I say he doesn't rotate his hip. What i meant is that he doesn't rotate his hip a lot apart from some shots. You also corrected me about the his head turn.
I still think that you don't need to consciously think too much about roating your hip. I concentrate more on turning the shoulder; torso and hip turn can be a by-product of that but I don't think it's too important so long as you turn your shoulder a lot.
He rotated his hip about 90degrees there. that's a lot. plus he was coiled. Normally he rotates even more than that even but that shot was a 'specialty case: aggressive winner'.
Also his hip stops rotating when it faces the net (from leg kick) causing the racquet to whip around which wouldn't happen at the degree it does on his fh's without that rotation.
rotating the hip after contact has no effect on the ball.
The hip is not a by-product in the kinetic chain. It's an early step in the kinetic chain which comes before shoulder rotation. If you swing the way you are describing then the chain is short circuited and arming the racquet is likely to occur and you won't get anywhere near the rhs you would be able to w/ hip rotation.
power comes from the ground up starting w/ the legs, then hips etc.. If the hips aren't rotating then there's a lot lost right there.
The same principle applies to the serve, golf, baseball, and any other throwing sports.

that music is funny. and appropriate

Last edited by Cheetah : 11-15-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote