View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 12:57 AM   #96
joeri888
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batz View Post
This again?

Roger played for 4 and a bit hours on the Friday afternoon - then had Saturday off, then played Murray on the Sunday afternoon. I'm sure Roger has been involved in a 5 setter in a slam, had the next day off, then won the the next day without being 'worn out' - all of which is analogous to what happened to him at Wimbledon OG.

While 'worn out Roger' was resting after his marathon with Delpo, what was Murray doing? Well, on the Friday, while roger was getting his massage, Murray played Novak Djokovic. Then on the Saturday, while Roger had his feet up in front of the fire, Murray played 2 mixed doubles matches - the Quarter-Final and the Semi-Final, then he played Roger on the Sunday afternoon.
I'm sure the Delpo match impacted Roger, both physically and mentally. However, you should not even respond to stuff like this. Murray played superb and Roger played poorly. Both deserved what they got that day. In fact, the fact that Rog had to go 4 hours against Delpo showed that he was not in form to beat Murray at the Olympics. If he was, he would have beaten Delpo a lot easier. He should have not lost serve in the first set, he should have returned better and he should've served it out the first time instead of being broken to love. It's his own fault and it showed that he lacked the form to beat Murray. Full kudos for Murray therefore, for being the best grass player during the olympics.

I would not derive from this, however, that Federer is done beating Murray on grass. I think it's a 55-45 for Murray maybe at this point. But the quicker the grass, the more advantage Federer. As long as Federer can keep his slice backhand low, he still stands a good chance against anyone on any surface.
joeri888 is offline   Reply With Quote