View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 01:16 AM   #98
batz
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeri888 View Post
Don't be so pessimistic. There's no reason why the new Murray could not hang with Rafa at Wimbledon, or with Djokovic at the US Open. If anything, a optimistic Murrayfan should believe in Murray winning 2 Slams next year.
Thanks Joeri - I accept I'm erring on the side of pessimism, but I'm trying to be realistic. Noel looks like he's at least half a notch above everyone else. Rafa usually does well after a long layoff - he'll be favourite for RG and if he wins that, then he'll take a bundle of momentum into SW19 - which I think is Noel's worst surface. I'm not saying Roger or Murray couldn't compete with Rafa @ Wimbledon - of couse they could, especially Roger - but if the Spaniard wins RG I think he'll be a force to be reckoned with @ SW19. In addtion to this, there's the 'after 1st slam effect' to consider - it doesn't always happen, but it can take time for a 1st time slam winner to bag that second one - and it wouldn't surprise me at all if that happened to Murray.