View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 05:41 AM   #3401
kaiser
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvaudio View Post
Indeed, the weight of the stick never was an issue for me. I first played a Dunlop 200G in 7th grade, so I'm quite used to their heft. The issue was that I was stuggling to control how the racquet head came through the ball. Since the swing weight was so high, that makes it more tricky to time shots like mid-court to cross-court passing shots (say the opponent hits a short volley, going DTL over the high part of the net is quite risky). With the lighter swingweight and a bit more pop, I can impart more spin and less power. It's the flexibility over outright pace vs. spin that I was looking for. Lighter sticks don't give the power due to plow through, and heavier sticks leave the spin at the mercy of the racquet. That sweet spot to choose is what I wanted, and the Prestige Pro was bang on. It reminds me of a Dunlop 300 with the heft of the non-tour 200. As I said earlier in this thread, Dunlop does not make such a racquet, so I had to look elsewhere. The Prestige is that racquet.
That's very interesting, because you describe a very similar situation to what got me thinking about trying out another racket myself. With the 200 Tour I can hit a pretty heavy ball for my level, and thus get a lot of mid-court balls back. Living in Europe, I play mostly on clay and hence I need to play a quality approach shot or angled winner on those short balls if I don't want to find myself exposed to passing shots and lobs. With the Tour I tend to hit a lot of those shots just long or clipping the tape, thus losing points that were mine for the taking. This can get pretty frustrating at times, especially when my opponent cottons on to it... I've been working with my coach on reducing my backswing and adding a bit more zip to my swing and thus topspin to my shots on those mid-court balls, and although that works well in practice, I'm still vulnerable in matches.

So I've also been thinking to try out something with a little less swing weight to see if that helps me get some easier tipspeed and a little more zip on those shots. At the same time, I really enjoy the heft of my Tours from the back court and on serve, as well as on volleys, so I'm loathe to loose that with a lighter swinging racket. By the sound of it, you've found a happy compromise in the Prestige Pro, and indeed I read some glowing TW reviews on it. Do you never miss the plow through of your Tours? I mean, you've gone down in swing weight by some 25+ points...