View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #12
SystemicAnomaly
G.O.A.T.

^ I agree. A jumping BH (or FH) can be hit with spin or pace if timed well and executed properly. Chang, Rios, Safin, Verdasco, Nadal and others have done so quite often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto_spin View Post
Thanx for sharing al tips on how to perform this stroke.

Ocassions to when to use are:
* high balls (on the rise?), to have higher contact with the ball
(e.g. returning a kick-serve)
* hitting angles
* other...
I actually adopted a variation for my 1-hander because I had a lot of heel pain (right foot) and tennis elbow (left arm). For a while, I was suffering from painful heel spurs on my right leg. I did not realize it at first, but the heel pain resulted in TE on the opposite arm. After 2-3 weeks of TE, I realized the connection. I was not loading up and driving off my right foot to hit my lefty BH. As a result, I had compensated in such a manner as to out added stress to my elbow.

At the time, I recall marveling at Safin's implementation of the mule-kick BH (2-handed). I noticed that the loading and drive was done with the front leg and not the back leg and decided that I could use it for my one-handed BH. I implemented it by leaning forward a bit to put more weight on my bent forward leg. I found that I drive off that front leg with no pain to my back foot. For higher shots, I would employ a modified mule-kick. After 3-4 weeks of this my TE disappeared and my heel pain had also started to diminish considerably. Here is a sample of the Safin jumping BH that you can play with:

http://www.hi-techtennis.com/video_s...8&video_id=184

To study the mule-kick BH, pause the Safin video and then step thru the sequence frame-by-frame using the Left and Right arrow keys on your keyboard. For a jumping FH, you might try searching for "Air Kei" (Nishikori). For a implementation of of a 1-handed mule-kick BH, take a gander at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CMR1CJQBFc&t=24s

Last edited by SystemicAnomaly : 11-16-2012 at 05:51 PM.
SystemicAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote