View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #170
heycal
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky View Post

Velvet Underground should go on there, rating at least a 7.

It can't be understated how much the Beach Boys influenced British pop music. That influence was wider reaching and longer lasting than their legacy in the States; that may be part of the disconnect. The way the Who and Queen arrange and produce harmonies go back to the Beach Boys. The way the Beatles use minor keys to evoke unresolved melancholy behind lovelorn lyrics go back to the Beach Boys. Phil Spector and Brill Building popularized reverb as a way to convey foreground/background in pop, but the Beach Boys introduced the idea of miniaturist pop.

Pet Sounds had a fluency in arrangement that even eludes Revolver and Sgt Pepper. The production is forward thinking, but never treated as a special effect.
I enjoy the Velvet Underground myself, but I think we're talking a 4 or 5 at best.

The Beatles were more influential than the Beach Boys. Hell, there would be no Pet Sounds if it weren't for the Beatles. As for all this 'inside baseball' talk of "fluency of arrangement" and "miniarturist pop" stuff, who cares? It's the songs that ultimately matter, and Revolver def. Pet Sounds 6-0,6-2,6-1.

Last edited by heycal : 11-16-2012 at 08:21 AM.
heycal is offline   Reply With Quote