View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #37
LMK5
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga tennis View Post
The video shows exactly why i dont like green ball. All they are doing is playing defensive trying not to miss.(DOWN THE MIDDLE) They are just hitting balls without a purpose. At around 20 sec into the video the kid gets a short ball to attack and gets to it and just rolls it back into play When they talk about constucting points i dont see it in the video. The green dots are hard to put away and they let these kids get a false sense about footwork. If thats what they consider point constuction then basically they are teaching kids to just grind and play defense.
What I've noticed about these green ball matches is there's a lack of topspin on the shots. Because of the low compression and light weight of the ball, the kids can whack it and it will stay in the court, whereas a regulation ball would go long with the same stroke. The importance of topspin is greatly reduced with these low compression balls, so what happens when the kid must play regulation? How will they all of a sudden adjust their mechanics to put the necessary amount of spin on the ball to keep it in play? What a rude awakening that will be.