View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #492
corners
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by racertempo View Post
Thanks for the reply and the link to the study, I found it an interesting read and it raises some questions that you might be able to help me with. The 105s frame recommends 57-67lbs and the shop strung it at 62. I am a full poly player and I have worked my tension down (little by little) from 60 to 50 and love the feel of the poly at that tension. You recommend going tighter on the 16x15 pattern which makes sense, but do you think the 10% drop is still important when using a full-poly bed?
I think that the best starting place would be mid-tension using 4g, which I think is what Wilson is doing with the racquets they provide for these organized playtests. It will be interesting to hear what Wilson recommends for strings and tensions when they launch this line. Hopefully they won't just recommend 4g at mid-tension! But 4g would be a good choice, as TWU's lab tests show that it holds tension better than any copoly on the market. A string that stays closer to its original tension would be less likely to get too loose to snap back quickly and would tend to provide a more consistent rebound angle and spin level over the life of the stringjob. And I think that will be more important with these super-open patterns.

I also like copoly at low tensions but I would be wary of going too low in these patterns, for the reasons mentioned in the earlier posts. But people will just have to experiment. When the strings start getting stuck out of place and the launch angle gets too high you'll know you've strung it too loose.

Quote:
Additionally, the demo has multi in the crosses which theoretically should allow the mains to move and snap back more then a poly....correct?
I don't think so. Multi would actually be my last choice for a cross string because the many small strands of nylon in a multi break one by one and fray, putting friction drag on the mains as they slide by. If you want to go with a nylon string I would choose a very smooth synthetic gut (which are monofilaments) instead. But in general I think it would be best to stick with full copoly with these patterns, although gut/copoly should be very interesting if the tension is right. In general though, the reduced number of crosses will reduce the stringbed stiffness, so stringing up a 16x15 at 65 might result in total stringbed stiffness equivalent to a 16x19 at 55 pounds. (But that's just a guess). This might account for reports that the 99S is comfortable despite it's apparently high throat stiffness.

Quote:
When I get mine in January and go with a full poly do you think I'll see a massive difference? Maybe go a little looser on the crosses of Poly? I was thinking maybe 60 on mains and 57 on crosses.....does that logic make sense or am I way off base here? Thanks for the time!
I think full copoly will definitely be better than the copoly/multi you've got now. And another reason for that is that the TW Professor found that, in 16x10 patterns, the cross string stiffness is also very important to timely snapback and spin. Mulitis and synguts are both significantly less stiff than copolys. Take a look at Figure 10 from this study http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/lear...dstiffness.php

Also take a look at Figure 3, which is very interesting. You can see that with all strings tighter is better in 16x10 patterns, but in 16x19 patterns some strings produce more spin at 30 pounds and others produce more spin at 60 pounds of tension. Since 16x15 is kind of in the middle of those two patterns I think it's very hard to predict what would work best with the 99S and 105S. These are the only frames where I would even think about sticking to the manufacturer's recommended string and tension

Last edited by corners : 11-16-2012 at 09:25 AM.
corners is offline   Reply With Quote