View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #104
goober
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
You might be "tired" of the argument...but this thread title suggests the conventional wisdom (that their 20 y/o freshmen are better than our 18 y/o freshmen).....might be inaccurate. The 12 y/o american beat the 20 something non american. She evidently "adjusted" in the tie break, while the ITF veteran folded like a lawn chair.

The "argument" that 5 star Americans are being passed over in favor of unproven non-americans is a topic that is logical to have in a Junior Tennis Forum.

I had no idea that the UW coach was THE lightning rod coach (when I posted that she should be embarrased that she had traveled half way across the world to recruit a player who lost to a 12 y/o.). Unlike others, i could care less what the coach says. I just think she's a numnut for not snagging better players given the prestigeous school & conference & given the "cool" vibe factor that Seattle gives off to the average youngster. She could have recruited 6 Asian Americans that would have been more solid competitors (& would have loved to compete in the Pac 10 & attend UW) than the player that lost to the 12 y/o girl.
Let's look at Grace Ysidora record thus far just in the US- she has only started playing for Washington just a couple months. Here are some of the wins she has accumulated so far in this short time period:

Marina Nikolic 4 star highest national recruit ranking #67, 6-0 6-2

Makenzie Craft Univ. Georgia, 5 Star highest national recruiting rank #13, 6-3, 2-6, 6-4

Alice Duranteau 26-10 record last season playing for Cal- Berkeley 6-4, 6-3

Marianne Jodoin (Duke) ranked #27 6-4, 6-3

Named University of Washington Student athlete of the week for going undefeated in the USTA Collegiate Invitational in Portland in singles and doubles.

Yes she lost to a 12 year old, but are there any US 4 star players who could do this? I highly doubt it. I will bet she will turn out to be one of the UWs top players by the end of the season.