View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #6
TomT
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowfox View Post
No real point to this thread, but today I played some pickup tennis. Whenever this guy would start the rally (i.e. the first ball) he would hit a rocket at me. I'm on defense right away... haha.

Am I wrong to assume people should start the rally nice?
No, you are, imo, correct. If you look at the way pros start practice or warmup rallies, they don't start them with hard hit shots. People who start rallies with 'rockets' either can't control the way they hit the ball, or don't understand how to build to a rhythm in practice and warmup exchanges.

When confronted with players who start out hitting their hardest, most extreme, shots in a warmup or practice rally I usually just walk to the net and tell them that we will build up to hard hitting, but for the first 20 or so shots it's helpful to just relax, and hit easily down the middle concentrating on technique, control, and hitting a ball that will be easy for the other player to return in a similar manner.

At my level it's often a problem, because at my level most players just don't have very good control.

Last edited by TomT : 11-16-2012 at 10:26 PM.
TomT is offline   Reply With Quote