View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #65
seekay
Rookie

Tension used for playtest: 45 lb
Regular string set up: Tourna Big Hitter Black 7 17 @ 45lb
Racquet brand and model used for test: Babolat Pure Storm Tour GT
Power of test string: Pretty much right where I like it. It had above average power for a poly, but still in the range where it was easy to control. So it gave me plenty of ability to hit hard while maintinain some confidence that the ball would go in.
Feel: I found it a little on the dead side, though it didn't hinder my ability to hit touch shots.
Spin: Pretty good, even compared with other 17g polys. For whatever reason, this string gave my slice some extra bite.
Comfort: Excellent. The sweet spot felt plush even on big swings.
Durability: Not quite as good as I'm used to, but it's a fair trade off for the things the string does well.
Playability Duration: The string seemed to lose tension more slowly than I expect from a poly. Whether that's the material or the factory pre-stretch, I can't say. But playability stayed pretty consistent throughout the test.
Control: As I'd expect with above average power, control was a little below average, but the string allowed me to make up for that with spin.
Compare to the string you use most often: Compared to BHB7, Super Smash Orange is less explosive but more comfortable.
Tension recommendations: 45lb felt right to me. I'd string it right there again.
Summary: The only other Kirschbaum string I've hit with is Pro Line II, and Super Smash seems to share its strengths. It's controllably soft and powerful and hitting with it is a lot of fun. I'm tempted to buy another set to try in a hybrid, so I guess the playtest worked!

Thanks to Kirschbaum and Tennis Warehouse for the playtest.