View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #496
corners
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by racertempo View Post
I hit the 99s on the machine today, including about 120 volleys from around the services line to gauge feel and I sensed no loss of feel for Steam compared to my Yonex RDIS 200 Lite strung with a full bed of Volkl Cyclone 17 at 50 pounds. Ground strokes were about the same as the Yonex, perhaps a little more spin but not a huge amount in my opinion....but I obviously don't have a Doppler Radar at my disposal. This demo was also strung at 62 with 4g in the mains and NXT in the crosses.

I really felt that the 105s had more power and far more spin, which is probably pretty obvious due to the extra spacing from the size and power from the lighter and thicker frame. I am leaning towards getting 1 of each in January after today. I was initially thinking of getting 2 105s but I think I will do 1 of each and use the 105 for doubles and 99 for singles (I like a heavier racquet for singles compared to doubles).

I will not string mine with 4g even though that is what Wilson recommends, just too expensive IMO. My favorite string right now is Wilson Spin Cycle so I will probably start with a full bed of that, then maybe try some YTEX and other brands that I have like the Volkl Cyclone.

Thanks for the references and links to the report, it is very very interesting to see higher tension creates more spin for full poly beds. I am not a fan of hybrid stringing but that is all they had for the demos...at least they had poly in the mains to give me some-what of the same feel that i would use with my own stringing....at least a closer representation then a demo with full multi when you are a full poly player

I think I am going to return the 99s on Monday and get the 105s for my match Monday night.

Oh.....the other important thing to me is forgiveness on off center hits, which is why I have been sold on Yonex for the last few years. I have tried the 100 Steam, the 96 and 100 Juice, the 100 and 95 Pro Staff frames from last year and I did not like any of them at all, even might say I disliked them.....so I was surprised at these Steam frames. The forgiveness felt equal to my Yonex, so I was very pleased.

BTW.....I am a 35 year old higher end 4.0, probably going to get bumped to 4.5 after next year, just a reference. Thanks for the time!
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I've got an Rdis 200 as well, so the comparisons you make are pretty interesting to me, especially regarding feel. Poor feel is a deal breaker for me, so it's very nice to hear that these frames aren't all bite and no bark, so to speak. I'll definitely try the 105S too.
corners is offline   Reply With Quote