View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #49
Tennis_Hands
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
. I said that some people were saying that hardcourts should be speeded up, when the main reason for the court speeds going down on the tour is the slow fazing out of carpet courts from 1997-2007.
This bolded statement is ridiculous. We are not talking about lower AVERAGE speed of the courts on Tour. We are talking about the slowing of the speeds of the surfaces, which were not known to be as they are now (US Open being one of them, AO being one of them etc).

How exactly the extinction of carpet is directly related to the slowing of US Open or AO?

Quote:
... and the change of Wimbledon grass to 100% Rye in September 2001. 2002 Wimbledon was the slowest Wimbledon I've ever seen. No other Wimbledon comes close to being as slow, either before or since.
What does the speed of Wimbledon in 2002 have to do with this discussion? The only relevance, it has, is to mark the beginning of the slowing of grass at Wimbledon. It is a fact, that the grass at Wimbledon has been slowed down sigificantly and is slow compared to the grass in the 80ies and the 90ies there.

Quote:
... Going on about hardcourts needing to be speeded up is odd.
It is odd , that people ask for the original speed of US Open?

Quote:
Cincinnati is the fastest North American hardcourt on tour, and I've never thought that the US Open was as fast as Cincinnati.
Way back both tourneys were about the same speed (give or take).

Quote:
I've tried to tell you about the vital technological factor involved in the last 10-15 years, making it easier to hit a lot of hard spin, which makes the surfaces look slower than the older days, but you weren't having it.
The power and the spin, that the modern rackets and strings generate make the surfaces look slower than they really are?

You are outdoing yourself by the minute.

Last edited by Tennis_Hands : 11-17-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Tennis_Hands is offline   Reply With Quote