View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #37
Mustard
Talk Tennis Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis_Hands View Post
In short. Nadal could hit with monstrous spin every ball he can put his racket on, but if the grass is slick and low bouncing it wouldn't matter (as it matters now).
Nadal won 2008 Queen's Club. As for old Wimbledon, he never got to play on the surface, so we shall never know. Nadal reached the semi finals of Junior Wimbledon in 2002, but that was the first year the new grass was used at the tournament.

Quote:
Moreover. If he is playing on ultrafast and slick grass the question is on how many balls he will be able to put his racket and in a way, that he is able to apply his spin?
We shall never know

Quote:
So, please, elaborate how exactly the development of the "new" string and racket technology is responsible for the slowing of the courts. Or do you suggest, that the courts haven't been slowed down and that is an optical illusion?
I already have elaborated, I don't know what else I can tell you. The reason conditions are more homogeneous today than in the past, is a combination of the modern technology, the fazing out of carpet courts until they totally disappeared from tour and the change of Wimbledon grass from 70% Rye to 100% Rye. And yes, the differences between speed on different courts have narrowed over the years as well, but this factor is totally exaggerated compared to the other factors (i.e. the technology and the fazing out of carpet courts).
Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote