View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #124
Alohajrtennis
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkC View Post
By the way, that is #16 in the world, not in the U.S.A. So, if we believe those rankings, then UW is ahead of every public university in the country except Cal-Berkeley, as well as being ahead of such private schools as Johns Hopkins, Carnegie-Mellon, Brown, Dartmouth, etc.

Of course, the Shanghai rankings are based almost entirely on the faculty: awards received, research papers published, citation rankings for research papers, and so on. So, like most rankings, these are not measures of output, which was your criticism of other rankings. Undergraduate students at colleges do not get to study at the feet of Nobel prize winners. I got B.S. and M.S. degrees at a school with a Nobel laureate in Physics, but he made no difference to my education in Computer Science. Ranking based on anything besides inputs is very hard. If I get time, I will start a thread about a study that actually measured outputs. The elite colleges were not thrilled with the study, by the way.
This was not meant as an endorsement of that particular ranking. I know next to nothing about it, I will take your word that it is what you say it is. I was just showing an example of ranking that takes into account more than the incoming grades/scores of the students. I thought it curious myself that UW was so high.