View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #50
ChicagoJack
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torres View Post
I understand what you're saying, but you started the thread talking about CoF. What I'm suggesting that there are many factors at play here, not just CoF and softness.
Hi Torres, thanks again for your input, much appreciated. Read the title of my thread. That's what my thread is about. It is a narrow search, down a very particular path. By the way, you might have missed it, but I have posted initial tension loss data for for all of the demo candidates on the opening post.

Quote:
If you want a gut + poly stringbed that's soft that's really not difficult to find. If you want a slippery poly, that's not difficult to find either. If you want a poly that has both, that's not difficult to find either.
Super cool, if you have any suggestions, feel free to lay 'em on me.

Quote:
What I'm saying is that neither of those factors are determinative of outright performance or playability.
I understand, but kinda feel like you are clobbering me over the head with this point, which I'm not contesting. That there are numerous factors surrounding overall string performance is so plainly obvious, it scarcely warrants a mention.

Quote:
One really needs to also take into account tension loss, stiffness over time, resistance to going dead etc. Really depends what's most important to you and what playability factor(s) you want to compromise on
Aha, Bingo! I've chosen what is important to me, and now I am looking for it. Priority 1 = Softer than Co-Focus 17L. Priority 2 = Low Friction, Priority 3 = Low Tension Loss. This is why is have 3 data columns for each of these three factors on the opening post.

Quote:
I have to say that I don't find 4G stiff. It's firm and it doesn't have much give but oddly - and this surprised me - it doesn't feel uncomfortable on the arm. My initial hitting with it was as a full bed with racquet with an RA over 70. Maybe the racquets you tried were strung to tight or were the stiff Babolat jarring type of sticks, but arm discomfort, I haven't detected any so far, though I've only been hitting with it for an hour or so. I can't imagine how adding gut mains would make arm unfriendly when its going to be gut mains doing the vast majority of the donkey work on groundstrokes.
Maybe this will help you understand where I'm coming from. I got my first ever case of TE using a 2012 Babolat PD+ Strung with Gut/Co-Focus, and I've been playing tennis at a decent level with technically sound strokes north of 30 years. I've since switched to a more arm friendly frame, and I stopped playing for 6 weeks, to focus exclusively on off court PT. My hard work has payed off. I'm now 90% pain free, even after having just played 2-3 hours a day for 6 days straight tuning up for and playing in a big tourney. However, I'm still understandably cautious about even 1/2 beds of poly.

Quote:
I don't know why people keep on mentioning Co-Focus on these forums. Starts off pretty well, but after one hitting session, it starts to turn rubbery, loses a load of tension, and generally starts turning the stringbed to crap.
I dunno, maybe I'm just being oversensitive, but I'm kind of getting a low level, overall disdain for the premise of the thread vibe. I'm sorry if the mention of Co-Focus is a pet peeve of yours, but I think it's awesome, just hunting for something a little more comfy with at least comparable tension maintenance. Perhaps you value tension maintenance over comfort, or your search is a little more broadly based, but that's your deal not mine. Different saddles for different butts.

Thanks again

- Jack

Last edited by ChicagoJack : 11-18-2012 at 07:03 AM.
ChicagoJack is offline   Reply With Quote