View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 06:18 AM   #33
matchmaker
Hall Of Fame

The best racquet switch I've ever made was switching to a thirty year old midsize frame. At the time I had been testing a lot of midplus frames such as the Donney Pro One International, the PK Redondo Midplus, the Volkl C10 Pro, even tested the POGOS briefly. Those were all good racquets, but I still felt something was lacking in my game. My teaching pro had taught me "the modern game" when I was growing up on European clay court: high topspin balls with typical windshield wiper motion. I had a good kick serve, a great backhand (my opponents always gave me compliments about it) and a good rally forehand but it was not really a game-winning shot.

One day a friend of mine brings an old Wilson frame. For fun I started hitting with it. I was a bit puzzled as my first balls all sailed out. I thought: "Weren't these old frames supposed to be really underpowered?" I still felt though that the racquet did grip the ball and that I could get it in with some minor changes in my swingpath.

I played a match with it and oh.... my forehand was like a hammer. It was deep, heavy, penetrating. I could hit FH winners at will, something I hadn't been able to do before. And the serve... This racquet was hitting bombs.

It was a Wilson Reflex mid. Later I discovered the stats on it: 85 sq. inch., 370 gr., 355 SW, 51 flex. My serve, FH and volleys have never been so good as with this frame. Had I known it specs, I might have never tried it. I would thus really recommend people to try something out of their comfort zone, it might just work.

Last edited by matchmaker : 11-18-2012 at 06:23 AM.
matchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote