View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #145
pc1
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMF View Post
No player can play high level in their late 30s, much less in the 40s today. AS evidence there isn't any because the depth/strength of the field doesn't allow that to happen.

Federer 17 slams is tough to match/break than you really believe. Because to reach that numbers, first you have to be incredibly talented, which Mac said Federer is like one in billion out there. You have to be almost injured free, always fit to play at a high level to give you a chance. You can't skip any slam, and limited to fewest upsets as possible. And you have to start winning slam at the early age, which isn't that possible like during the early days, again, all because the depth/strength of the field. Not to mention by the time you reach 30, the window of oppotunity has closed considerabliy. AS talented as Nole is, he start out winning late in his career, and at 25 it's impossible to catch Roger. If you've been watching Davis Cup, they said tennis today is the 2nd most global sport in the world behind soccer. That speaks volume.

Sure, records are made to be broken. Just because Sampras's 14 slam record couldn't last for a decade doesn't necessary mean Roger's slam record is going to be broken anytime soon. It took almost 40 years for Mark Mcgwire to break Roger Maris home run record. Yet, it took only a few years for Barry Bond to break Mcgwire's record. So far, no player is remotely close to Bond's 73 home runs per season.

Women's tennis is not like the men's tennis. you can't equate they are equal, slam to slam, or title to title. Because if you compare all tennis records, women always has the higher numbers in every categories. I would say Fed's 17 is a lot tougher than Graf's 22, certainly much tougher than Court 24.
As Hoodjem wrote, of course you would think so.

Fact is that players have been super dominant in the past in men's and women's tennis and the average winning percentage in men's and women's tennis is 50%. No I don't think Federer's 17 is tough than Graf's 22 and Graf's 22 isn't even the record. All Graf faced was Martina Navratilova, Hingis, Sanchez-Vicario, Seles, Sabatini, Evert, Davenport etc. All weak players and if you believe that I'd like to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge.

Honestly I think Bill Tilden would have been easily in the mid twenties or higher if there was airplane travel like today and he wanted to enter all the majors.

Yes tennis is unique in that they had geniuses not allowing the best players to play the top tournaments for the longest time and that also affected the classic majors record. I've pointed this out to you many times but you haven't acknowledged it.

Last edited by pc1 : 11-18-2012 at 05:09 PM.
pc1 is offline   Reply With Quote