View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #7351
Feņa14
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickC View Post
Interesting thoughts. Yeah Spurs were good for the first 20 minutes or so, but I think that had more to do with being a goal to the good against their rivals. Sometimes you don't need to be motivated to have a good start in a derby, you're fired up as is and you want to go out and impress. The 2 striker thing is down to AvB, as you say, but I think most managers these days would play a similar system against a team that lets you have time on the ball to play some nice football, and also because the squad is loaded with good strikers and attacking players. I certainly wouldn't play 1 striker in a derby match when 4th place is potentially at stake. Not doing so would be cowardly.
You can see it both ways I suppose we beat Arsenal and Tottenham in our derby games so far with one striker, and that was Torres! We pressed high up and played great in both games, without a doubt our 2 best performances of the year i'd say.

I wonder what Ross thinks of the bolder, 4-4-2 approach, it's a shame the sending off meant we couldn't see a whole 90 minutes of it to see if it's something that can work. Maybe playing Dempsey just off Defoe in a 4-4-1-1 would be a good compromise.
Feņa14 is offline   Reply With Quote