View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
Mick3391
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I recently posted a video (http://youtu.be/HQs5jHgWXWM) and the common theme among the critiques was that I was too "stiff" and "robotic" in my strokes. I agree, so now what? How do I play looser and more relaxed? I don't know how much of this is actually fixable? If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

I try and have a relaxed and loose grip, but when I do that, I am sometimes late with the hit. I try and breathe out on the hit and that helps me "feel" more relaxed, but I'm not sure I look more relaxed?

I really want to fix this issue, but am not sure on how? Is this something a teaching pro can help out with? Thanks.
Couldn't see your video, said "unavailable".

Anyways if I play relaxed I suck. I'm a nervous player, when I'm nervous I play much better, when there is something to lose.

It's like what Cus D'Mato said about fear. "Fear is like fire, it can either fuel you or burn you down".

I use fear to my advantage. When I played "King of the court" with the kids at school, I was very nervous, in my mind it was like "Lose to a kid", so I played my best. I played against Justin Bower, was scared, yet I was "Fueled", played great.

So I would say don't run from your fear, embrase it if you can. Even Fed gets nervous at this stage, sometimes he can't eat. Tyson would be afraid before he entered the ring, it's natural to be scared.