View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 05:08 AM   #118
Gorecki
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ico View Post
Brace yourself. Couch warriors here at TT are way more qualified about this subject than silly Boris Becker. Vamos.
I would love to say you are a moder day Nostradamus, but your prediction is like saying the water will remain wet:

however, you hit the nail in the head.

a sample of the posts followwing yours in this thread!!

(i would like to point the trend in the namesake\known fanbase association of the below quoted posters)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NadalAgassi View Post
You presume everyone would be playing serve and volley in a field with players like today, for instance thinking players with the exact skill sets of Nadal and Djokovic, the same ones who Becker himself claims would be irrelevant in that era, would be his main rivals in even a serve and volley based era, which is a silly assumption. In an era of serve and volleyers Federer would be in alot more trouble relative to his current dominance in the baseline only era, as while they dont exist today in the past there were MANY players with both better serves and especialy better volleys than Federer. In the 90s alone Sampras, Becker, Stich, Krajicek (yes 1 slam wonder Krajicek of all people), were superior to Federer in both serving and volleying ability. Edberg and Rafter were much superior in volleying. Philipoussis and Ivanisevic superior in serving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
We can never know. But the 1990s clay scene had very little serve and volley. The clay scene at that time was actually an early sign of the sort of gruelling matches we see today, full of engrossing rallies. One guy definitely harmed by the more modern game compared to 1990s conditions is Lleyton Hewitt. He loved playing against serve and volleyers who pressured him at the net.

Nadal in the 1990s would have played a lot more on clay and a lot less on hardcourts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
Agreed.

But Federer is more of a 1980´s player, where I think he would have also shone quite a lot ( although would not have dominated nearly as much, of course)

Tennis changed a lot.Sampras or Becker would have very hard times in today´s conditions, the same that Nadal and Djokovic or Murray under the 90´s conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky21 View Post
It is? I guess you have a time machine that transported Fed and Nadal back to that era to know for a fact that Fed could hack it while Nadal could not. Nice DeLorean,Doc Brown.
Quote:
Why assume that Nadal couldn't adapt? He isn't exactly a bad volleyer. And in the 1990s, Nadal would have been free to play a load of clay-court tournaments anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reversef View Post
Exactly. In the beginning of the nineties, many experts were already worried because of the lack of new serve and volley players. It was already considered a species at risk of extinction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimeaxe View Post
Becker would be destroyed by Novak in any conditions, he's not really the smartest man in the world, better for him to shut up.
Quote:
Dubai is faster than Cincy, and look what happened to Roger last years.It's just myth that he plays great in faster conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beast of mallorca View Post
Becker would have cried like a baby girl at the hands of Rafa and Djoker
Quote:
Originally Posted by beast of mallorca View Post
Becker is just being a sour puss because Rafa has eclipsed his accomplishments and Djoker is on his way to do the same. Nobody here knows, whether you are a pro player has been or not, how Rafa or Djoker would have fared in the 70s, 80s, 90s.

Who's here to say how each one would have adapted to a specific era to dominate like they did. Everything here are mere speculations which are all dependent on our respective bias and allegiance because nobody here will ever know. Just My 2 cents.
Quote:
I remember how many big points these s/v players have lost rushing to the net, and not trying to construct one point from the baseline.I remember them doing that in situations even if it didn't have any sense.I understand people who don't like endless baseline game, but on the others hand it's a great way to disturb other player's rhythm on his service game.If you jerk him around the court, it's a great possibility that's he's going to miss some first serves, it's even more effective against big guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murrayfan31 View Post
Boris Becker says some of the most ridiculous things. Great players never turn out to be great analysts it seems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNatural View Post
Fed was very inconsistent pre poly. They all wouldn't be as successful if they all had to play in the 90's without poly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
This is the one thing people either don't get or don't want to get.

Players are products of their era. Even Federer, who was playing S&V in his first major WB outings, has cut it out for the most part and stuck to baseline rallies. Edberg, THE S&V er, said that if he played in today's era he would mostly stay back.

Both Nadal and Djokovic said that they really wanted to win WB. In this era, they had it easier with the bigger ball bouce so that they didn't have to make major changes in their baseline game but if they were born earlier on they would've probably adopted a different style to try and win on most surfaces(or at least for the big titles).

Obviously, no matter what era you're in, you're gonna lean one way or another but I don't know why people automatically assume that today's defensive players would've automatically been so in the past as well. Nadal was very offensive in his early teens(with a Gonzalez like forehand at times), Djokovic was much more aggressive circa 2008, Murray has his moments of offensive brilliance. It's just that 7-8 years ago, most tourneys started following WB's example and slowed down their courts so most players starting taking note and dialed down their offense.

I mean, even Federer is less agressive than he used to be in his peak and it's no coincidence that all top 5 guys are tremendous defenders(yes, even Federer).

What Becker said is very relative. I could just as easily say that the big S&V'er Becker would be eaten alive in today's tennis but that wouldn't be fair nor true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by veroniquem View Post
Becker was a big server himself. So, he's preaching for his church, makes sense. He's just forgetting that his era saw the best returner of the game succeed, as gifted a returner as Djoko and Nadal: namely Agassi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djokodal Fan View Post
Becker got owned by a Baseliner called Agassi

Becker would have got owned big time by Nadal & Novak. Basliners always have the option to attack or retrieve when in trouble.
Quote:
Becker had a bad head-to-head record against Agassi because he kept on trying to beat Agassi at his own game, and it never worked.